Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A BIT OF TOM JONES (a review)



A British film with one of the most brilliant concepts for a comedy I've ever heard...

The story: a man in a bar buys the penis of legendary singer Tom Jones from a woman in a bar thinking he will sell it and make some much needed money. Yes, he buys Tom Jones's penis. Of course, selling it is harder than he would have imagined and between finding a seller and failing to find a buyer and getting rid of the thing and then finding a buyer and having to get it back from the police who he thinks has it...well, yeah, it's pretty out there.

Was it good?

No. And it's hard to explain why. Everything about the movie should have been amazing. I love -- LOVE -- the premise, easily the funniest idea for a comedy I have ever heard. And the story, with him trying to sell it and trying to find buyers and then trying to steal it back from the police and getting caught between the various unsavory collectors who want it...all of that should have been gold.

And yet...

It just wasn't funny. I mean, I don't think I luaghed once and I should have been on the floor rolling with this stuff. It just felt like something was off. They say comedy is timing and maybe the timing was wrong or something. Maybe it was the lack of surprises -- for as crazy of a concept as it has the humor was actually pretty tame -- that made it feel too predictable to be funny. Even the old people in fetish gear really wasn't surprising.

I don't know. It's shame because I thought it had amazing potential and I kept watching it thinking this should be funny...but it wasn't.

*** NOT RECOMMENDED (although I wish I could) ***

No comments:

Post a Comment